Friday, April 29, 2011

Prefontaine.

"A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest.
I run to see who has the most guts."
-Steve Prefontaine.

I ordered the movie from Netflix on the recommendation of my wonderful Josh, and oh my goodness, what a fantastic movie. This guy was super human! Inspirational!

Toward the beginning of the movie I was a little dissapointed in Prefontaine's personality. He seemed a little full of his own importance and I was starting to dislike him. As 'normal' people, we want nothing more than the 'greats' in the world to be awesome people. We want them to be friendly, personable and someone we can relate to. And I have to be honest ... when he was first becoming famous, I felt it went to his head and I thought he needed some humble pie.

But then he changed. He became incredibly relatable, making time for his little fans. Watching him run was awe-inspiring. I know he was one in a million, and that I could never run that hard or fast. But his attitude and courage was contagious. It is sad when the world has to lose someone so amazing!

I highly recommend this movie. Incase there is more than one version ... I watched the one made in 1997.
Onwards and Upwards fellow runners, and may you be inspired too!

No comments:

Post a Comment